Prior Written Notice is a tool that can be used by parents - a highly effective tool. Take this form (with the requirements for a PWN) to the IEP meeting. Using the form can defuse some of the "ruffled feathers". After all it's not the parents asking for qualification, it's the law. When schools vascilate, ask them to either accept, reject and for dates when services, evaluations etc. will begin or in some cases end.
Download the form
Prior Written Notice – 20 U.S.C. § 1415 of the IDEA
Notification requirements (for PWN)
The content of prior written notice required by subsection (b)(3) shall include:
- A description of the action proposed or refused by the agency (School District);
- An explanation of why the agency proposes or refuses to take the action
- A description of each evaluation procedure, assessment, record, or report the agency used as a basis for the proposed or refused action;
- A statement (at the time of the PWN) that the parents of a child with a disability have protection under the procedural safeguards of this subchapter
- If this notice is not an initial referral for evaluation, the means (how) a copy of a description of theprocedural safeguards can be obtained;
- The sources for parents to contact to obtain assistance in understanding the provisions of this subchapter;
- A description of (each of) other options considered by the IEP Team and
- The reason why those (considered) options were rejected; and
- A description of the factors that are relevant to the agency's proposal or refusal.